The 8851 Classima sports a 42mm diameter case, which makes it an XL according to Baume & Mercier standards, but it is still quite thin for its size. It also has an elegant alligator skin strap that is also very comfortable, and the triple-folding clasp will securely fasten the watch to your wrist. But even though the 8851 Classima is beautiful enough on the outside, the inner workings are what really sets this watch apart from all the rest.
The 8851 Classima is powered by a 25 jewel Valjoux 7750 movement that vibrates at around 28,800 vph; this is the reason why this watch is extremely great at keeping time. The pushers are also well-made, you can actually feel the quality when you use them.
If you are planning to get one of these exceptionally-made timepieces for yourself, then here are a couple of things that you may want to know before parting with your money:
- The 8851 Classima is an extremely accurate timepiece. It runs on a Valjoux 7750 movement (or a variant of it), which is very accurate to say the least. Unlike other automatic watches, this particular model will only be off by +/- 1 second after some weeks; pretty impressive even for a chronograph.
- The large, white watch face makes it easier to read the dials. The additional dials are also clearly marked and numbered so you can readily tell the position of the arms.
- There is a fourth hand that is used to designate the time zone. This fourth hand has a red-colored tip that corresponds to the red numbers that are on the outer edge of the watch face.
- Even though the face of the 8851 Classima Chronograph is quite large, the sheer number of features on it makes it a bit cluttered to someone who is new at using chronographs. But this is only a minor inconvenience and as you continue using the watch, reading the different dials will seem like second nature to you.
- The triple-folding metal clasp can be quite unwieldy, especially if it is your first time using this kind of fastener.
There are only a couple of not-so-bad things that can be said about the Baume & Mercier 8851 Chronograph, which is why it is considered as one of the company’s best sellers up until now. There are only a handful of watches that can compare to the 8851 Classima, and most of them cost thousands of dollars more than this model. If you are looking for a very accurate and beautiful timepiece, then the Baume & Mercier 8851 Classima Chronograph is the best choice for you.
The Baume & Mercier watch company is known to make some of the best wristwatches in the world, but their 8851 Classima Executives Chronograph deserves to be in a class of its own. This model is one of the most popular watches that Baum & Mercier has ever made. This is an extremely reliable and very beautiful chronograph, perfect for people whose time is very precious.