Hands On Review – Fossil JR1353 Nate Chronograph Stainless Steel Watch
- Watch Face and Window: Fossil’s Nate Chronograph Stainless Steel Watch has a mineral crystal dial window that shields a black dial and its white indices and hands. Aside from very visible bar-type markers, large Arabic numerals located at the 3, 6, 9, and 12 o’clock marks guide watch owners in telling time. As a chronograph watch, the JR1353’s dial is three-eyed, with one eye serving as a 24-hour format indicator. It also has a date indicator at the 4 o’clock mark.
- Case and Dimensions: Its stationary bezel is made of stainless steel, and is designed with crests and ridges, for aesthetic purposes. This stainless steel watch from Fossil’s Nate collection of men’s watches has a large case measuring 50 mm in width, and 13 mm in thickness.
- Band: The JR1353’s band is a three-column or oyster-style link bracelet, also made of stainless steel. Its enclosure is a simple fold-over clasp. The bracelet is of men’s standard lengths and is 24 mm wide.
- Calibre and Water Resistance: Fossil’s Nate Chronograph Stainless Steel Watch is water-resistant in depths of up to 50 meters or 165 feet. This device runs on analog quartz movement.
- Milwatch Love: Wrist watches were not that openly accepted in the military until they became mandatory and government-issued. Military watches or milwatches were made to prioritize function over fashion, since those who wore them, often depended on these functions in life-and-death situations. Over time, milwatches became a prized possession for watch collectors, and a blueprint for minimalist, yet fashionable, vintage-inspired watches. The JR1353, for example, would look like something a navigator or pilot would have worn in World War 2, because of its chronograph features, and large numerals.
- Very Visible Elements: Because the Nate Chronograph Stainless Steel Watch has such a large face, and Arabic numerals and indices, it is very easy to tell time at a glance. Even the chronograph dials are very noticeable.
- Chronograph Movement: This timepiece deserves a big batch of plus points for choosing to add a chronograph feature to what could have easily been just a simple watch that tells what time it is. The three-eyed dial is exactly what adds some flare to this military-inspired watch.
- Since the JR1353 is military-inspired, it would have been better to have had a higher water resistance level. At 5ATM, you can shower and swim in shallow water, but a bump up to at least 10ATM would take this watch snorkeling and swimming with its owner.
- Size, as always, is a preference. While its large face and case can be an advantage to some, it can also be a disadvantage to men with smaller wrists and body build.
Where To Buy The Fossil JR1353 Nate Chronograph Stainless Steel Watch
True to Fossil’s brand commitment to pay tribute to vintage watches, its Nate Chronograph Stainless Steel Watch (Model number JR1353) brings together basic functional elements of a classic military watch, and a spark of style.