Hands on Review – Graf Zeppelin Dual Time Big Date Watch 7640-1
To celebrate a century of Graf Zeppelin, its watches built an anniversary assortment “100 Years Collection” that combines classic elements with the modern accents.
Equipped with amazing tachymeter functionality (known also as Taceometre or Tachymeter) this fantastic timepiece borrowed from Zeppelin version 7640-1 is driven by Swiss Quartz Ronda Movements with freely flexible second time zones (12 hour sub-dial placed at 6 o’clock) . A case made of stainless steel house a Silver sub-dial with black digits or markers and pommel hands (referred often to as Breguet Hands). It consists of a big date type of window display placed at the 12 o’clock position.
Zeppelin 7640-1 Specifications
- Movement: Swiss Ronda 6005.B quartz (battery powered)
- Case: Satin built stainless Steel, 42.5mm x 11mm thick.
- Back: screw-in back
- Crystal: Hardened Mineral
- Band: Hand-made, buckle closure, padded leather. 22mm.
- Water Resistant: up to50 meters
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Big date type of window display
- Dual time zone freely flexible second time
- Silver dial featuring black digits or markers plus Pommel hands
- Stainless steel case unique case with typical Zeppelin shape
- Diameter: 42 mm and Thickness: 11 mm
- Band size: close to 22 mm
- Made in Germany
- Looks cool: retroish, can cross casual and formal lines.
- Power reserve system is super-useful.
- Love the entire typeface and basic aesthetics.
- Keeps excellent time. Only slow about 2-3 seconds daily.
- Love the back display.
- Can be difficult when reading, depending on one’s hand positions. Especially, the second hand isn’t differentiated well enough from the minute one, you have to stop a few seconds to observe the movement to differentiate.
- No luminous paint, cannot use in the dark.
- 24-hour dial is useless (however attractively rendered)
- Date window cut-out is WAY too minute, clipped too close to the font, and fairly difficult to read.
- Crystal sapphire instead of plastic finishes
- Some people (but not me!) don’t love the rotor movement or noise on this.
- Rotor is unfinished and shamefully plain. Kind of loss a little potential on the back displays.
The Zeppelin 7640-1 exceeded even my own expectations. You can obviously tell it’s not made cheaply or easily. It has an amazing solid feel, the dial has wonderful detail. The dial appears more like metallic cream colours, but overall it contains a nice vintage type of feel to it.
Where to Buy the Graf Zeppelin Dual Time Big Date Watch 7640-1
The Zeppelin 7640 dual time watch exceeded even my own expectations. You can obviously tell it’s not made cheaply or easily.