- How did you get started with Detroit Watch Company?
We are 100% independent. Amy and I invested our own money to start DWC. We have maintained our independence throughout the process and have grown the company. Our aim is to celebrate Detroit’s rich history with our timepieces which the city and surrounding area have plenty of. Our latest model, the B24 Liberator played an important role in the arsenal of democracy in WW2. The bomber was built at the Willow run plant in the suburb of Detroit by Ford.
- Where do you guys get the idea to create this brand. What inspires both of you when it comes to design?
I have personally designed timepieces for other brands since 2003. After many suggestions from friends and industry contacts, Amy and I decided to launch DWC in 2013. As designers, we look to create balanced and timeless designs that will last generations.
- Let’s talk about your various market. Which countries and/or cities do you think will be your biggest market for this launch.
We have customers in Canada, Europe, Arab emirates, Australia, Malaysia and all over the U.S. The Design has brought many customers to us. The story is part of it, then the design and value is key.
- Is there anything both of you’d like to highlight to the Gracious Watch readers related to your current model?
Our latest models, the M1 Woodward and the B24 liberator are our most expensive timepieces to date at $1850 and the M1 has been a tremendous success. Because of our e-commerce, we have attractive pricing.
- Where will the watches be available after the launch? We launched in 2014.
We presently have a very diverse collection of models available on our website.
- What are the goals for Detroit Watch Company in the next 5 years?
To continue to grow our collection with exclusive timepieces. We presently build 500 pieces a year.
- What do both of you personally look for in a timepiece?
Design, quality and the movement. The theme and story is also important behind the brand.
- Is there anything else you guys would like to add to this interview?
Years working with clients in the watch world, we saw the need for a timeless design in all our watches and attractive pricing. We are very transparent on what we do and our customers appreciate this. An excellent product. It’s one thing to have a watch to sell, it’s another how you treat your client. We offer a very personalized service. Amy and I personally communicate with every client.