- Display: The MBM3101 features a gold dial, and three small dials for its stopwatch or chronograph function (in seconds, minutes, and up to 24 hours of elapsed time). Smoky gold rhinestones cushioned on tiny stud plates mark the hours, while three gold, slim, baton-style hands indicate the current time. Lastly, a date window can be found in between 4 and 5 o’clock.
- Bezel and Dial Display Window: The Blade in Gold’s fixed bezel is made of stainless steel that is ion-plated with gold. It is characterized by the large “Marc by Marc Jacobs” logo engraved on it. Its top glass is made of scratch-resistant mineral crystal.
- Case and Crown: This timepiece’s case is constructed with IP (ion-plated) gold, stainless steel. Its diameter measures 40 mm, and its thickness is at 12 mm. The screw-down type crown is gold-tone, as it’s the buttons to start and stop the chronograph.
- Movement: The Marc Jacobs Chrono Glitz Gold Dial Women’s Watch MBM3101 runs on Japanese quartz clockwork.
- Band: Completing this watch’s all-gold look is its three-link bracelet. The center links are shiny, while the outer links are brushed. For its watch strap enclosure, the MBM3101 uses a fold-over clasp with two push-buttons. It fits most women’s wrists (length), and it is 19 mm wide.
- Water Resistance: Its water resistance is active in depths of up to 50 meters or 5 ATM only.
- Subtle Contradictions: What fashion raconteurs love about Marc Jacobs is his being able to pull off that which is contradictory to common belief, and to push people out of their comfort zones. This is not screaming evident in the MBM3101, however, if you take a closer look, you’ll notice the subtle absurdities. One that stands out is the large, pop-art font Marc by Marc Jacobs logo on a wide-brim bezel, on a supposedly feminine and classic-looking gold watch. Another is the mix of polished and brushed gold links on its bracelet.
- Gold Play: What I love most about this watch is that it doesn’t stick to one predominant tone of gold. It plays with champagne, yellow, and even shadowy gold.
- Unisex: The Blade in Gold is versatile enough to be worn either by males or females. Its case and bracelet are substantially large enough for both genders, and its face isn’t too feminine.
- Although this piece is large enough for either males or females to wear, it may be too daunting for people who prefer watches with smaller bands and cases.
Marc Jacobs is, perhaps, one of the most influential fashion designers around the world. This is most likely because he can fuse contrasting elements together in such a way that it turns out a masterwork in the fashion world. Marc Jacobs’s Chrono Glitz Gold Dial Women’s Watch MBM3101 or the Blade in Gold, is a very subtle example of this artful mix of the classic and feminine, with pop art.