The watch is huge, chunky, and has a sharply contrasting color combination of stainless steel, black, and black silicone. All in all this is a very striking piece that is better suited for rugged wear. The product description says the watch is 45 millimeters in diameter and 10 millimeters in thickness. It weighs 5.6 ounces.
However, independent watch forums measure it at 45.5 millimeters in diameter by 15.5 millimeters in thickness. Incidentally if you include the crown the diameter is around 49 millimeters. The strap is 24 millimeters wide and is made up of solid stainless steel coated in thick black silicone. The dial window is mineral crystal and movement is Japanese quartz.
First you will notice the handsome color combination. Then you will realize that the same is constructed to be sturdy. The details leave very little to be desired. The silicone coated solid stainless steel is particularly appealing. Other advantages include:
- Solid watch lugs
- Water resistant up to 330 feet (100 meters)
- Black and white dial with lume for easy reading
- Deployment clasp
- Analogue dial with 3 round windows for chronograph function
- Date feature
- Beautifully polished and delicately edged stainless steel case
The main disadvantage is its size. This limits the consumer base of the same to individuals with wide wrists or who prefer huge watches. However within the demographic there is very little to be complained about. Other disadvantages include:
- The movement is Japanese quartz. Most consumers prefer Swiss quartz
- The crown could have been thicker and should have been outfitted with a crown guard
- A day and date function would have been better
- Thicker lume would have been better
- The polyurethane black bezel insert is too simplistic
- A directional bezel with markings would have made this a lot better looking
- Sapphire crystal is better
The author believes that most consumer complaints about this watch are poorly placed. This is because all the talk about bezel insets, different dial design, etc. is a matter of taste. In fact there are other Michael Kors timepieces that have those look.
Also, the consumer cannot expect to get Swiss quartz plus sapphire crystal because the watch is reasonably priced at around $150. Those preferences are available in watches that are worth more than 4x the retail price of this model. In fact the most substantial complaint for this watch is it’s too light for its oversize, and it could really use a crown guard.
This article will review the Michael Kors Men's MK8107 Oversize Black Silicone Runway Watch. It will likewise focus on the main features, its advantages, disadvantages, its overall appeal, and a whole lot more. The review will utilize watch forums, consumer rants and raves, as well as the author’s own opinion.