- Display and Functions: The BRG001 has a square digital display that shows the time, day, date, month, year, and a tide graph that measures tide height. Its illuminated face also houses surfing-specific functions such as: Train Mode (custom with “suffer and recover” interval timer), Heat Mode, Alarm Mode, Future Tide Mode, and Time Zone modes (1 & 2). It also has a backlight for reading time and tide in dark conditions.
- Future Tide Mode: This feature in the Brig allows surfers to predict the tide at more than 200 beaches worldwide, for the next 20 years.
- Dial Display Window: Its crystal is made of hardened plastic/ polycarbonate.
- Case: The watch itself has a black unibody polyurethane construction. This means that the case and band are all wrapped in a single, yet durable layer of polyurethane. The case is 44 mm wide and 14 mm thick. It has a stainless steel case back.
- Band: Its polyurethane band measures 25 mm wide and uses a buckle enclosure called “OKTOLOCK” (patent pending). The strap uses the OKTOGRIP pattern, with rows of circular bullets and spaces that allows the skin to breathe more under the skin.
- Water Resistance: This watch is great for surfing, swimming, and snorkeling as it is water-resistant up to 10 ATM/100 meters or 330 feet.
- Surfing-Specific Functions: This all-black Brig watch is really a surfing watch with all of its digital functions targeted to the movement of the tide. Its tide graph can even be more accurate than local reports, and its Future Tide mode helps you plan your future surf trips.
- Durable Plastic: Polyurethane is a much better material than metal when used in salt-water environments. It is way better at preventing corrosion and leakage.
- OKTOGRIP Strap: The BRG001 has minimized the issue of sweaty and smelly wrists, and heavy rubber/plastic straps with the OKTOGRIP pattern.
- While the OKTOGRIP pattern has its benefits, some users would need a little getting used to because it feels different on the skin.
- It’s a surfing watch. If you’re not a surfer or a water-sports enthusiast or even a meteorologist, the features that make this watch so great would be out to waste.
- A unibody construction, especially if made well, is good. However, if there’s a problem with just one part of the watch, the whole body has to be fixed.
Being able to track the tide is one of the passionate surfer’s best training and leisure advantages. The Brig by Jordy Smith, South Africa’s surfing gem, is a well-designed, intelligent set of surfer watches that come with digital tide tracking. Its all-black BRG001 piece is just one of Vestal’s most promising surfer watches.